Saturday, September 12, 2009

Weekend

Since my last post I have caught two babies, both with Jenny. Both were nice and simple, I got to learn some new techniques which is always a plus. The after care is the hardest part and one of the times when I miss homebirth the most. The clients can stay for as long as they need to and my last one stayed for 8 hours post birth which meant 8 hours of vitals after I had already been up all night long. I'm just going to have to throw my feet away; you are on them non-stop when the client is in labor and then for the postpartum. Oh, and then you have to still do your First On chores and that is probably when you will ponder to yourself why you paid thousands of dollars to bust your ass so thoroughly.

One thing I have seen, and will now have a better understanding of how to estimate and deal with, is blood loss. If you are coming here be prepared to see losses that well exceed what you are used to in homebirth. It's good though; while I still have my healthy respect/fear of PPH I'm significantly more confident in my ability to handle it.


No comments:

Post a Comment