Sunday, September 6, 2009

Saturday night

After the craziness of the morning nothing else happened all day; C and I restocked and cleaned and then just sat around and chatted. I love her despite the fact that we are POLAR opposites on pretty much every possible level. She's pentecostal and I'm a heathen, she's pro-life and I'm fervently pro-choice, she voted for Sarah Palin and I threw up in my mouth a little just typing that... but I love her and she totally doesn't mind hanging out with me even though I'm going to burn in hell for all eternity.

Last night C and I actually left the birth center and went for Chinese food and it was the first time I had worn street clothes in a week. The Chinese place was even a teensy bit sketchy and I didn't care because I was so happy to be eating food not from my teeny little 4" of fridge space (my fridge space was recently upgraded). I wanted to take her out to thank her for her invaluable help during my first week here; were it not for C I might have wanted to give up and leave. Instead, she was so unbelievably welcoming to me and she gave me every little tip and secret she could think of, didn't ever get irritated when I asked her the same question twice or acted like packing the sterile OB kits was beyond my capabilities. I shadowed her my first day and as a result I picked up her upbeat, funny, bedside manner and now when I'm nervous about doing something to a client I just met (exa; they do vag exams on all clients weekly starting at 36 weeks) I just pretend I'm her and it works every time.

Plus, she is completely hilarious and I am so going to miss that; she has had me spewing liquids out my nose every day.

After we got back from Chinese (we also walked to The Q and I got some evil evil Diet Pepsi) a new intern arrived and so we sat and chatted in A'maya's office until it was decided we were going to practice blood draws on each other. Awesome. I'm pretty good at blood draws, I have never missed but you know, there is always a first time. So we go to the Jungle room (not the Creepy Clown room because that room was designed by Satan's personal decorator.... you will see when you get here... shudder) and I climb up on the table (they have exam tables here, hard to get used to when you are used to couches and beds) and we're all giddy and hysterical K wants to get checked off on on catheterizing someone, everyone is cracked up and leaning over me and I feel like I've been abducted by alien midwives bent on practicing their skills. Blood draws go fine all around.

We tried to force C into a pap and a blood draw but she escaped our clutches. You get a group of midwives together overnight and some kind of clinical haymaking is going to go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment