Sunday, September 6, 2009

Saturday morning insanity

Saturday we had no second on because of some scheduling mix ups and I was scheduled to second Saturday night. So, when I got paged at 7:00 am on Saturday I was a little confused and disoriented. I jumped out of bed and threw on the nearest scrubs I had (you can observe a birth in a lab coat but since I didn't know what I was doing I put on scrubs) and bolted for the birth center. I forgot to put on a bra which is something I can barely tolerate; I have big C/small Ds and I hate letting them run wild and free but I thought, 'eh, the baby will come and I'll run back over here and grab a bra.' Wrong, of course.

Two babies were born within 5 minutes of each other and within 5 minutes of that the entire days worth of appointments showed up in the front. The resident and the other intern were doing the postpartum business with the births so I (literally) ran appointments for 4 hours without stopping once. I'm the kind of person who HAS to eat protein, drink coffee, and have a big glass of water in the morning and by 11:30 I had not had a single drop of water or even the chance to pee. It was fun though, I so totally did not care that I was a wreck, boobs all over the place under my scrubs, dehydrated and about to pee my pants because I did 7 visits in 4 hours. And of course, that was the day that all of the clients needed extra counseling and since I can't speak Spanish I was having to go get the staff midwife all day who was pretty busy herself.

I honestly don't know how the staff midwives keep up this clip. The birth center can never be unoccupied; a staff midwife has to sleep there every night. When A'maya (by far one of the coolest midwife I've ever met) is on she brings her little girls and they sleep there with her. On the one hand I feel like homebirth practice might seem a little dull after this I cannot imagine living with the pace they have here.

No comments:

Post a Comment