Thursday, October 1, 2009

two weeks left

Somehow all of the sudden it got down to two weeks to go. I can't say that I'm sad although I truly love our intern group; I feel like I got very lucky with the group of women I have with me. We got a new intern a few days ago and we all fell instantly in love with her.

In the past three shifts I have managed to miss about 9 births and it sucks. I really only need a handful of stuff before I leave and for the first time I'm starting to fret about it. Wednesday morning I had to give a birth to the next on because I had been up (literally) all night with random labor checks and by the time this labor started going I was so tired I couldn't count heart tones or do simple math. It sucked. I could have made it through the birth but the 2-3 hours of vitals afterward would have killed me. I've probably already said this but when you catch a baby you are responsible for a minimum of two hours of postpartum vitals and all of the paperwork through the birth certificate... it's an immense amount of work.

We kind of have an influx of interns so I'm a wee bit worried about getting the very last of my numbers but, you know, whatever... can't stress the numbers too much or you will miss the forest for the trees.

Tonight I'm second on so I have to sleep with one ear open for the intercom. You get paged and it can be incredibly jarring if you are deeply asleep to have to jump up and run across to the clinic. If you are at all able to sleep in your bra and scrubs I highly recommend it... I once had to do a birth without my bra on and it sucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment